I did absolutely nothing today. I have a lot to do, but when I went to bed last night I thought to myself, “I’m just going to wake up when I wake up.” And that’s exactly what I did. Noon was about the time I finally rolled over to look at my phone and check my messages. I thought about going grocery shopping. I considered getting my car door fixed at the Chevy dealer. I considered going home and doing laundry. I didn’t get out of bed to do anything productive until 7:00pm. Not kidding.
It felt great. I haven’t had one of those days in a long time. Luke came home from work and lounged with me for a bit before I decided to finally get out of bed and cook dinner. While my handy boyfriend ran to the store for a lemon, I whipped together this hummus crusted chicken with some left over zucchini I was in desperate need to get rid of. I had a spicy hummus on hand, but I think any flavor would work really well with this dish. I baked the chicken on top of the zucchini, leaving a ton of juices to serve with the vegetable.
It’s supposed to snow here in St. Louis tomorrow. 5-8 inches during the day and then another 1-3 expected at night. I plan on going to the store tomorrow and possibly having dinner at my parent’s house. I thought it was Spring? I have enjoyed winter but I am ready to admit it is time for sunshine and green grass. Anyone else with me? Stay warm, readers!
Hummus Crusted Chicken
slightly adapted from Gimme Some Oven
yields 2 servings
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2 baby zucchini, or one large zucchini
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup hummus of choice (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and set aside. Toss zucchini with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Place zucchini in an 8×8 baking dish then place chicken breasts on top of zucchini. Top chicken with hummus, making sure to cover entire breast.
- Squeeze juice from half the lemon over the chicken and vegetables, then sprinkle with paprika. Finally, thinly slice the other lemon half and place slices on top of chicken.
- Place baking dish in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.